Friday, March 7, 2008

Fabulous Fail-Proof French Bread

4 1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups hot water
3 TB sugar
1 TB salt
5 TB either oil, melted butter or melted shortening
6 cups flour
1 egg white, beaten
sesame seeds, optional
Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit until foamy. Meanwhile, mix well (I use my kitchen aid) the 2 cups hot water, sugar, salt, butter and half the flour. Add the yeast and remaining flour, mix well. Let rest 10 minutes. Turn mixer back on and mix again. Let rest again for 10 minutes and then mix again. Do this 5 times in all. (opps, I do it 4 times and it still works.) Divide dough in half; knead a bit to cover with flour. Roll into a rectangle about 14X10. Roll up jelly roll style and place seem side down on greased and cornmeal lined 15X12 cookie sheet. Both loaves will fit on the same cookie sheet. Cut 3 or 4 slits in top (I found kitchen shears to work the best by opening the shears and inserting about 1/2 inch and make a cut). Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish. Let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 35 minutes until golden. (Mine is done at 25 minutes.)
This recipe came from my Mom's ward and I'm so glad to have gotten my hands on it. I have enjoyed it every time I've eaten it, and baked it because it always works out. That is why I added fail-proof to the title. Everyone seems to have success with it, but if you don't you can come to my house and we'll bake it together. You will enjoy it, I promise!!!

5 comments:

Cynthia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim P. Edwards said...

Cynthis - I think Audra gave me this recipe from you a little while ago. I have to agree - it really is fail-proof. I made it for a Sunday family dinner a couple weeks ago and everyone LOVED it! I'm so glad you put it on the website!

Kim P. Edwards said...

I meant to say Cynthia.

Leslie said...

I, too, have this recipe and without a doubt, it never fails! I make it all the time.

Debbie Freeman said...

I love anything that says fail-proof, wish me luck!!