Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Since we seem to be on a roll with Chicken Tortilla Soup recipes, I thought I would contribute mine as well! (and I know....my apple bowls are horribly outdated--they are going in Saturday's yard sale!)


2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 c frozen corn kernels
3/4 c - 1 c chopped onion
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbl lemon juice
1 c chunky salsa (I use Pace, chunky, mild)
Suggested toppings:
tortilla chips (as desired; crunched as topping)
cheese (we like a Jack n' Cheddar blend)
sour cream
avacado


In a large pot, over medium heat, saute chicken in oil for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, mix well. Add broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 - 30 minutes.


Top as desired in individual bowls.

Just a few sidenotes:

O.k., I am all about quick and easy at my house so to make this recipe even easier, I often buy the already cooked, ready to eath Tyson Chicken that comes in I believe 6 oz. packages. I chop it up and give it a quick saute. There are a few different flavors; I buy the grilled. I cook a lot using garlic so I always have a jar of minced garlic in the frig, too.


I am fairly sensitive to the taste of sodium so I use can low sodium broth and my salt addicted husband doesn't even notice.


Also, we're big eaters and this recipe tends to be doubled at our house.


1 comment:

Kim P. Edwards said...

I am probably crazy, but I think it is so cool to see all these different versions of Tortilla Soup.