Sunday, May 25, 2008

Oriental Chicken Salad

We enjoy this salad often. I think I could eat the whole bowl myself. This is a handy salad to fix ahead of time, even the night before. Layer ingredients in bowl, cover and refrigerate. Add dressing when ready to serve. Sorry I can't send the recipe for the delicious Filipino mango peeking at the edge of the picture.


Oriental Chicken Salad

2 cups diced chicken
4 cups thinly sliced Chinese cabbage (I try to get the ones with darker
green leaves. Regular cabbage can be used)
1 package chicken-flavored ramen noodles, broken up
2 T. sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup slivered almond, toasted
Optional–chopped broccoli, sliced celery, sliced green onions, chopped cauliflower, frozen peas

1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 ½ T. sugar
1 flavoring packet from ramen noodles

Prepare salad dressing by combining vinegar, oil, sugar and 1 flavoring packet from ramen noodles. Toast sesame seeds and almonds in 350 degree F. oven for 3-5 minutes. Place chicken, cabbage, and desired vegetables in mixing bowl. Add sesame seeds, almonds and broken noodles. Pour dressing over salad. Mix well.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

This is just like how I make mine, and seeing the picture makes me want it right now!!! Too bad my family doesn't eat stuff like this, oh well, more for me.

Sarah said...

That looks delicious- I am going to try it!

Kammy T said...

This is a little different than the recipe I have always used. I tried it this week and loved it! I especially like the idea of adding more veggies. We did broccoli, peas, and green onions. I think it really added to the taste and texture! Thanks for the salad upgrade!