Thursday, January 24, 2013

Slow Roasted Pernil

We are on the Weight Watchers quest to find good recipes.  I have found a website that has not let us down so I wanted to share what we have tried.  Every recipe has been amazing and so easy!  Win - Win!

I was a bit hesitant with this one, even as I prepared it I was concerned there wasn't enough liquid or flavor, but it was delicious and I didn't even marinate it overnight like suggested.  It is a great crockpot recipe!
The website is www.skinnytaste.com and she has beautiful pictures to go with each recipe.

On the website she even lists the points for each recipe...

This is the exact link for this recipe if you want to go directly there...
Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil

Ingredients:  

  • 3 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp coarse salt
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
  • 3 oranges, juice of (1/2 cup)
  • 2 limes, juice of

Directions: 
      Using a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over pork. Place in the ceramic part of the crock pot, cover and refrigerate, turning pork occasionally so the marinade covers all of pork.


      The next day, remove the crock pot and cook on low, 8 hours.

      After 8 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks. Remove liquid from crock pot and add pork back to crock. Add about 1 cup of the liquid back and adjust salt, pepper and cumin (you will probably need to add more). Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.

      ***Ours was a little salty and I only had 1 lime so I didn't add as much lime juice as called for.  I will reduce the salt in half next time and possibly just add salt to taste after shredding the pork.

      I served ours in tortillas for the kids with cheese and salsa, for my husband he ate it over spinach with salsa and jasmine rice.

      1 comment:

      Kim P. Edwards said...

      I just bought a pork roast yesterday. I will definitely try this recipe. : )