Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Garlic and Herb Oven Fried Halibut


I found this recipe on http://www.myrecipes.com/ when I searched "kid friendly halibut recipe." It was so YUMMY!!! My kids thought it was chicken and could not get enough of it. We loved it too and it was just a bonus that it was such an easy fix and so healthy and good for you.


(Sorry for the picture, it smelled so good that we forgot to take a "pretty picture" once we had it dished up.)

1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) (I used Italian flavored breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Cooking spray


Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish. Place egg whites and egg in a shallow dish. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Dredge fish in flour. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in panko mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 fish fillets; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining fish. Bake at 450° for 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.


**I didn't plan in advance and so I used dried spices in stead of fresh. Also, I cut my fillets pretty thick, I will cut them a lot thinner next time. The 6 minutes at 450 was plenty of time even for the thick fillets that we had. Just be careful to not overcook. My kids loved how tender it was.

No comments: