Friday, December 11, 2009

Chocolate Mint Cookies

Kim Edwards invited me to contribute to this blog a year ago and I'm finally posting a recipe. I am giving these cookies as Christmas gifts this year.


Don't they look good?

Chocolate Mint Cookies

(I am adding my own notes to the original recipe because I made so many of these cookies, I learned some things along the way.)

Makes approximately 5 dozen cookies.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs
2 cups (1 bag) chocolate chips
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 boxes Andes mints (The official name is Andes Thins Crème de Menthe)

Directions:
Stir butter, brown sugar, and water in small saucepan over low-medium heat until just melted. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the chocolate chips. (I think Guittard Semi-sweet chocolate chips are the best.) Keep stirring until chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

While that's cooling, beat the eggs in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Then add the eggs to the cooled chocolate-butter-sugar. Finally add the flour mixture. Stir by hand with a large spoon until there are no visible streaks of flour.

Chill dough in refrigerator for 45 minutes or more. How cold the dough is will determine the finished cookie. If you want the cookies to be thinner and crisper, keep the dough a little warmer. If you want the cookies thicker and chewier, keep the dough very cold.

Preheat oven to 350 f.

Roll the dough into 1 tablespoon size balls. I use a Pampered Chef scoop which makes the job much easier. Flatten the dough balls slightly and place 12 on a cookie sheet. Parchment paper is a good idea for this recipe because when the mint drips off the cookie, you don't have to wash the cookie sheet before you do the next batch.

Bake for 8-10 minutes. I thought 9 minutes was perfect. While the cookies are baking, unwrap the Andes mints. I gave my kids this job because they can't really mess it up (other than eat too many of them).

When the timer goes off (or a little before), open the oven and slide the rack out, quickly put a mint on the center of each cookie with the writing side up (if it's writing side down the mint tends to slip off). Then put the rack back and let the cookies sit in the oven another 15-20 seconds. Take the cookie sheet out and set it on your cook top or counter and use the back of a spoon (or an off-set spatula if you're feeling fancy) and stir the mint around the top of the cookie like icing.

Allow to cool (I put mine on cooling racks, but you don't have to). I think they are best fresh out the oven, but they are still good the next day. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kim P. Edwards said...

Yum! I wish I was your neighbor. : )

I will definitely have to try making these this season.

Kammy T said...

Those look great and not too hard, I'll be trying them this season too!